Wednesday, March 3, 2010

DIY Necklace holder

Continuing on with my obsession with organization (well ok... not really an obsession but I certainly need to get it together with my various messes that drive me crazy daily), I sort of owe this project to D's sister.  She showed me one that she had put together and it reminded me that my mother used to make these necklace holders with quilt batting, ribbon and hooks.
I was in dire need of hanging up my necklaces to avoid the daily knot-removal fight I would get in with them every morning.  I also just bought some inserts from Bed Bath and Beyond for my earrings/bracelets/etc. that fit into my drawer in my closet (no, you don't need a fancy closet company to come fit them to your drawer!) so this project was a must- do.  Here's how it went:

Find an inexpensive painting (I found these at Homegoods) suitable for where you would like to hang your display-mine was to be hung in my closet.
Buy some hooks at a craft store with screw-backings, in different sizes if you have larger necklaces.  Ignore the man trying to get away from you at Michaels that says they don't have anything like that- THEY DO!
 
Pick the layout of what looks best on your painting for your hooks.  Remember that the larger hooks should go in the center to avoid pulling down the sides of your picture with the weight of your necklaces, and stagger the hooks so your necklaces have room to hang.  Start screwing in with your hands.
 
(Sorry for the glare of the picture, I should have taken these anywhere else but the closet.)

 

About 15 minutes and some sore fingers later, voila!

 
 

No more piles of necklace mess and knot-fighting!  Hooray!
 

1 comment:

  1. Cute Jess! Much easier than the DIY project I want to do for a jewlery tree.... I'm still searching for the perfect branch! LOL

    ReplyDelete